Influenster

Friday, February 28, 2014

Be you bravely

Peer pressure is a bitch. 

I have never struggled more with peer pressure more than I have now that I am a mother. It could be due to the amount of opinions people have on raising children and what's right, what's wrong and what's best for the child in the long run vs in the moment. Or it could be the people I surround myself with, the occasional overbearing stranger or the people that I see and read about on various social media sites. 

Growing up I never really had a problem with peer pressure. At least not that I know of. If there was something I wanted or wanted to do, it was because that's what I wanted. I've never been about name brands and my real friends never judged me for that. I pride myself on my eclectic style which is basically all over the place and always has been. I've never had a problem being real, being me, and staying creative and different dispite what others may think or say. I dance like no ones watching, I often curse like a sailor, I change my hair color at the drop of a hat and some days (most now) I stay in my sweats all day. Because I'm real and frankly I just don't give a shit what anyone thinks about it. 

I'm confident in who I am and I don't need a name on a tag to make me a better person. There's two things that kill me and I can not stand to be around and that is - Liars and Cheaters. And as far as I'm concerned if you are a poser that puts more effort into putting on a front or an image just to come off as something "better" or something that you feel is "better" than others then you and only lying and cheating yourself. 

I read and shared an article not too long ago about how horrible it's getting on social media with people posting this picture perfect world on any given Tuesday. Far too often people on social media are putting out false advertising of what real life is and it makes me crazy. You don't see all the boo boos, the arguments, and messy hair days and it sends out false ideas just as much as watching a soap opera or scripted reality show. I not too long ago read an article about how depression is on the rise and how a lot of doctors tie certain peoples issues directly to their usage of social media like Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. It's just a shame. 

Confidence and a smile is the best thing you can wear each day. This is something I want to have Sophie grow up knowing. And know to be herself and not a follower just trying to fit in. Fitting in is boring, all the fun happens outside of the box. In the meantime I need to focus on staying true to myself and sticking to my guns. I often don't give myself enough credit. I need to continue to be me and not let others opinions or false advertising get to me. I've made all of the choices for her up to now and she is the happiest baby I've ever met. So I'll continue to stick with me and Chris's way even if it means that I don't always let her cry it out, or if she keeps her binky for another month or two, or if I dress her up like a bunny for Easter.....