Influenster

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Gotta Dance


Today while trying to get the baby to take a nap, I decided to give myself a bit of a rest too after a whopping 3 hours of sleep. I sat in bed and was flipping through the channels and came across Judy Garland in a movie I had never seen before. I started watching it and was oh so happily surprised to find that Gene Kelly was in it too! 

This all got me thinking. About my childhood, about my favorite musicals, about "the old days" of when my grandparents were young, and about my hopes and dreams for Sophie. 

When I was little, once or twice a week my Mom would walk me down to the corner and take me to the library. They had a kids group that you could just show up and they would read you their choice of book each week and then my Mom would let me pick a book and a movie to check out. The movies were all oldies and musicals but I didn't care I was just happy to be able to pick. So each week I would pick a musical and we would go home and watch it. Of course I still watched Disney, Carebears, my Little Pony etc, but this was different. It wa something special that me and my Mom did and it was a routine that although I was 5-6 years old I can still remember perfectly and still have that happy feeling in my heart. 

Musicals then became my thing. I'd watch them in between the other more kiddie shows and developed a Gene Kelly crush (along with my Hulk Hogan and Patrick Swayze ones) and couldn't wait to start dance class. My parents were great about getting me out to see musicals in local theaters and even broadway once to see Cats. But my favorites then and still now were the love stories. As silly as it may be I think that those movies gave me the idea of what a man should be and how girls should be treated like a princess more so than the Disney Princess movies. I've always looked at those men as the gentlemen I hoped to have someday and those women as the beauties I want to be. It was a different time then, where it wasn't as rare to have man treat you like a lady. And on the other hand it also wasn't as rare to have a woman act and dress like a lady. In most of my favorite films the man isn't even all that (except for my love Gene Kelly of course) but it didn't even matter! The old time movies had a way of making you fall for the lead guy even if he doesn't look like Brad Pitt. 

What I'm getting at in the end is, this is what I want for Sophie. I want her to be diverse enough that she will give things that are out of the norm a try and become a well rounded girl. Because some of those things that are out of the norm and not main stream are the things that can mold you to who you are. It's those things that you may hold closest to you and have the best memories of because they are yours. They are your memories that you don't share with the rest of the general population. I want her to be herself whoever that may be and love life to the fullest. And I certainly want her to see a few of these movies so she too can get the true idea of a lady and what gentleman qualities to expect in a man. And if nothing more I want her to dance and sing and have a blast acting like a goof :)

The movie I started watching was the Pirate but a few of my favorite oldies are below <3 These are some of my favorite childhood memories <3